Take Home Exam (1000 words) – Critical Review of one article
You have been provided with an article which examines current international issues and offers an analysis of what is happening and applies a theory. Your task is to offer a critical review of the article.
- This is to be written in your own words.
- There is no need for any additional research for this paper. All you need for resources is your textbook, and your notes
- As this is a report style assignment (not an essay), there is no need for an introduction or conclusion. You can use subheadings. Writing skills – grammar and spelling etc– remain important.
Summary of argument in article (Application of theory and case) – 300 words
You need to write a clear statement of the issue or problem addressed in the article and an explanation of what it has given rise to.
Break the article into the following three sub-headings:
- What is the problem?
- What are the main points (offer two or three key points in the paper)?
- Which theory is used and how was it applied?
- Note – It is ok if this section has a descriptive element.
Strengths and weaknesses of article (your analysis) – 600 words
In this section you need to offer a critical approach to the key points discussed in the article. Here are some points to consider (ok to use sub-headings) to assist with your analysis.
- How valid is the author’s main argument/s?
- Did the author offer sufficient evidence?
- Was the theory explained and used effectively?
- Were you persuaded by the article?
- Reflect on what we have discussed during the semester:
- Connect theory raised in article to discussions in class
- Draw on relevant points/examples from the textbook and notes that could be linked to the key points in the article. A good example is the level of analysis (Individual/state/international system) approach used throughout the book.
Recommendations – 100 words
Based on your summary and critique you need to offer a recommendation about the article:
- Was the use of theory accessible? What did you gain from reading the paper?
- Would you recommend the article to a fellow student in Introduction to International Relations?
Introduction to International Relations: Enduring Questions and Contemporary Perspectives Joseph Greico, G.John Ikenberry and Michael Mastanduno (eds), Palgrave, 2015.
You have to reference the article and the book.